Guy de Normanville, the knight, states that while he has given to Sir Thomas, his brother, in exchange for his land of Angus (ANG) which he held by the gift of Lady Matilda, countess of Angus, all his land of Maxton (ROX) situated between the ‘Denes’ with the messuage, toft and croft , etc. which Guy held from Sir Walran, his brother, and he has given corporal possession of the same land to the same Thomas, Thomas conveyed the same land of Maxton with all the promises by Walran, his brother, and Guy’s presentation and concession, to the church of Saint Mary of Melrose and the monks there serving God in alms, as is fully contained in his charter. Guy will warrant all the promises to the monks in perpetuity, and states that noone is to bother the monks concerning the render of three shillings or one hawk. Walran established the donation, Guy approved it and established all the promises by this present charter.
20 September 1250
in the year of grace 1250 in the vigil of Saint Matthew the apostle