People of Medieval Scotland
1093 - 1371

Document 4/25/3 (Dunf. Reg., no. 218)

An agreement is formed between Thomas of Restalrig on one side and Master Richard, persona of Hailes, on the other, with the consent of Sir William, abbot, and the convent of Dunfermline, whereby Thomas will have the watercourse of his mill at Hailes (MLO) as it was on that day (of this agreement), and he will not extend it towards the lands of the church. Thomas will have the mill with ‘Midelhope’ and ‘Milnecroft’as far as the large stone, as he had it on that day. He and his men shall have access to the mill by the great road. The persona shall have in the name of the said church (Hailes, MLO), from the aforesaid great stone, all the remaining land as far as the ditch that was made of old for the boundaries with the half selion (seyillun) in the direction of the cliff (faleys), as Sir H[ugh], bishop of Dunkeld, and Sir William, abbot of Dunfermline, discerned on that day. He will also have that portion of land that lies between the church’s garden and the great road which extends towards the mill, saving also the churchlands which they had on the aforesaid day of the agreement.
Firm date
6 October 1226
Dating Notes
AD 1226, Day of the Virgin Saint Fides (Faith).
Source for Data Entry
Dunfermline Registrum, no. 218.
Trad. ID
Dunf. Reg., no. 218
Calendar number
Charter type
The church of Hailes (MLO) is now known as Colinton.

Total number of associated factoids: 16

Listing items 1 to 1, page 1 of 1

  • ‹‹ First
  • ‹ Previous
  • 1
  • Next ›
  • Last ››

Date Short Summary Primary Witnesses
6 Oct. 1226 Agreement between Thomas of Restalrig and Richard, persona of Hailes yes