People of Medieval Scotland
1093 - 1371

Document 4/8/14 (Dunf. Reg., no. 214)

Abbot William of Dunfermline and Hugh, first abbot of Culross, and their chapters make known that through inspection of the privileges of the monastery of Culross, it was declared that Culross is exempt from the presentation of teinds of animals’ food, and of the teinds of crops, trees, and other obventions in the territory of Abercrombie (FIF) in the matter quarrelled over between the monastery and the church of Crombie (FIF). The abbot and convent of Culross shall pay in perpetuity to the monastery of Dunfermline 15 marks yearly, half at the Purification of BVM and half at St Peter ad vincula. If the payment is made more than 15 days after it is due, the abbot of Culross shall give ½ mark to the hospital of Dunfermline within seven days as penalty. The abbots swore to observe this agreement and placed themselves under the jurisdiction of the bishop of Dunkeld, under pain of suspension or interdict. This agreement was approved and established by Sir Hugh, bishop of Dunkeld, saving to himself and his successors all episcopal dues paid by the abbot and convent of Culross.
Firm date
11 April 1227
Dating Notes
Easter, 1227
Place date (modern)
Place date (document)
Related Place
Source for Data Entry
Dunfermline Registrum, no. 214
Trad. ID
Dunf. Reg., no. 214
Calendar number
Charter type

Total number of associated factoids: 19