People of Medieval Scotland
1093 - 1371

Document 4/32/26 (Dunf. Reg., no. 215)

Guy, abbot of Lindores, Gilbert, abbot of Arbroath and John, prior of May, as papal judges-delegate, have examined the complaint made to Pope Innocent III by the abbot and convent of Dunfermline against the abbot and canons of Cambuskenneth, for attempting to infringe on the conditions of an agreement made between them through the influence of the bishop of St Andrews. Cambuskenneth Abbey made a claim to certain teinds of the church of Kirkton (St Ninians, STL), particularly the teinds of grain of the land of Robert Cameron of Siphalne, the land of Hugh Parcur, the land of Mael Coluim, servant [sergeant?] of the king, the land of Kirkton, Cambusbarron (STL), and Sceot which the kings servants held of Buthcadroch, the land of Odo, servant of the king, the land of Weland of Polmaise (STL) which Patrick holds, the lands of the canons next to the mill, a ploughgate of land of Craghorth and another ploughgate of land which Unspac held, and the teinds of the fishing of the Forth and the mill of the Bannock. A counter claim by Dunfermline Abbey was made for the chapel of Dunipace, and to the whole teinds of Carnock (STL), Plane (Plean?) and Uhtred Bannoch, on the grounds that all the teinds of the king’s lordship of Stirling belonged to them. An agreement was made that Dunfermline Abbey should grant Cambuskenneth Abbey an annual rent of 9 marks from the teinds of the lands of Buthcadroch, Polmaise Elwyn, Polmaise Weland [note: Elwyn and Weland are both personal names], the land of Constantine which Robert Cameron held, the land of Hugh Parcur next to Fulech, and his croft in parco. Dunfermline Abbey should give up to Cambuskenneth Abbey all right that they had to the chapel of Dunipace (STL) and the teinds of the above places. This agreement was not put to writing and to secure a lasting peace the judges-delegate asked that the agreement be observed and further that Dunfermline Abbey should give to Cambuskenneth Abbey one chalder of oatmeal out of the teinds of Polmaise-Regis yearly, and moreover, that the land called Canon’s Land, near the mill, which King David had given to Cambuskenneth Abbey, should remain with that abbey on condition that they neither build a church, chapel nor oratory there.
Firm date
24 October 1215
Dating Notes
9 Kal. Nov., 1215
Trad. ID
Dunf. Reg., no. 215
Calendar number
Charter type

Total number of associated factoids: 28