People of Medieval Scotland
1093 - 1371

Document 4/32/57 (Dunf. Reg., no. 213)

The bishop of Dunblane, the abbot of Newbattle and the prior of Holyrood, brought together by the Holy See to investigate the division of the land of Cult (FIF) and the forest of Outh (FIF); and the ponds made on the water which runs between Pitliver (FIF) and Gellet (FIF) for one part and the land of Crombie (FIF) for the other, have declared a Settlement in the controversy between the abbots of Culross and Dunfermline and their chapters concerning the chapel of Cleish (KNR) and the church of Tullibole (PER), in the presence of the judges. After a number of altercations made in court concerning the said chapel, the abbots, with the consent of their chapters, came together and, amicably discussing the chapel and others, appraised each other out of court. The abbot of Culross, having heard the instruments and reasons of the opposing party, who had informed him that the chapel pertained to the church of Dunfermline, from the consent of the chapter, that convent renounced in full the right which they contended to have to the chapel. It was also agreed between the abbots, with the consent of their chapters, that they would cut off all occasion for dissension between the monasteries, agreeing that the marches between the land of Cult and the forest of Outh should be those which had been made by the Sir M[alcolm], earl of Fife, in the presence of the above-mentioned abbots; that is, that they should begin towards the south from the water of Lethans along the syke which is nearer ‘Aldlunahthan’ towards the east; and so going up in a straight line by the stones as far as the standing stone on ‘Sithi’ hill, and so going down as far as the spring beneath the hill, and so along the burn of that spring as far as the Gairney. The monks of Culross shall strengthen their dam above the water wherever they wish below the mill of the monks of Dunfermline. Similarly, the monks of Dunfermline [shall strengthen] their dam above the land of the monks of Culross, if it shall be useful, so that neither through their dam or another work they shall be impeded, which all parties promised to observe faithful and go against nothing, under the attestation of justice.
Firm date
11 April 1227
Dating Notes
1227, at Easter
Place date (modern)
Place date (document)
Related Place
Source for Data Entry
Dunfermline Registrum, no. 213
Trad. ID
Dunf. Reg., no. 213
Calendar number
Charter type

Total number of associated factoids: 27

Listing items 1 to 1, page 1 of 1

  • ‹‹ First
  • ‹ Previous
  • 1
  • Next ›
  • Last ››

Date Short Summary Holder Lord
11 Apr. 1227 Chapel of Cleish (KNR) Dunfermline Abbey (fd.1128)