Gilbert, earl of Strathearn, has given, granted, and established by his charter, to God and St John the Apostle of the Isle of Masses and the brothers serving God there three measures of land (jugera) next to the pond that comes from the aforementioned island at Fowlis (Wester) (PER), in perpetual alms, free and quit of all pain of subjection and from all servile custom and secular service, to be held as freely as any alms in the whole land of Scotland.
March 1179 X March 1198
Episcopate of Simon, bp. Dunblane. Also after Gilbert’s marriage to Matilda d’Aubigny
Source for Data Entry
Neville, Charters of the Earls of Strathearn, no. 2